The end of the Unix war
- In the beginning Bell labs created Unix
- * then Berkley changed it
- * then Sun, HP, SGI, ....
- Each Unix was different
- * Each have their own version of admin tools, boot etc
- Each hardware vendor had their own Unix
- * If you liked Xs hardware but thought their Unix was horrid you didn't have a choice
Linux the Saviour!
- Only Unix for almost all platforms
- Supported by all major workstation vendors!
- Easy to port Good code between Linuxen
- * Now we have distribution wars - tsk!